Teacher & EducationalResources
The Golden Apple Foundation is committed to providing resources and materials to teachers that will ignite new ideas, offer support, and improve education quality to New Mexico students. Here are teacher resources from professional development workshops hosted by Golden Apple, our Summer Conference workshop, and EdWeb.
Teacher Resources Online
Golden Apple Foundation of New Mexico is proud to be the home of the largest, most interactive web-based community for teaching excellence in New Mexico. Our community (hosted through edWeb and supported by generous donors like Southwest Capital Bank and Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Mexico) is open to teachers and community members from around the state.
Here are links to past workshop and presentation slideshows with teacher resources for educators:
Written For Teachers by Teachers
One of the best resources for teachers on this site is our extensive blog. Our blog is written by our Golden Apple award-winning teachers and is a community resource we offer to all educators.
Distance Learning Resources
Golden Apple Foundation of New Mexico knows what a strange and difficult time this is for all educators no matter the school location, type, or grade level. We are all navigating unknown waters, and we know you are all looking for ways to stay connected for your students, their families, and your communities.
Many of you may be looking for resources to support retooling your instruction for distance technology. We took a quick poll to see what some Golden Apple teachers are using and wanted to share this (lightly curated) list.
Note that this list is offered in the spirit of teamwork and collaboration and do not imply any endorsement. They are just a list of references your colleagues wanted to share with you. Please know that Golden Apple Foundation of New Mexico is committed to supporting your journey for the rest of this school year as best we can, focusing always on optimizing the crucial relationship between teacher and student. We hope you all stay safe and healthy and connected to the communities and people you value most.
Thank you for choosing to be a teacher, and for your dedication to New Mexico’s children.
Resources for Educators
● Distance Learning: A Gently Curated Collection of Resources for Teachers from Cult of Pedagogy – https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/distance-learning/
● Distance Learning Resources from NM’s own Hallway Renegade –https://sites.google.com/aps.edu/distancelearn/home
● Read the World Distance Learning Support –https://sites.google.com/view/rtwdistancelearning/home?authuser=0
● Resources For Teaching Online Due To School Closures – https://www.theedublogger.com/teachingonline-school-closures/
● Support for Teachers During the COVID-19 Outbreak from Facing History and Ourselves – https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/support-teachers-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak
● A Trauma-Informed Approach to Teaching Through Coronavirus from Teaching Tolerance – https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/a-trauma-informed-approach-to-teaching-through-coronavirus
● Tips for Designing an Online Learning Experience Using the 5 Es Instructional Model – https://catlintucker.com/2020/03/designing-an-online-lesson/
● YouCubedAtHome a site created by Stanford professor Jo Boaler, who is posting new math activities each week that can be done at home during distance learning. https://www.youcubed.org/resource/youcubed-at-home/
Resources for Educators and Families
A great place to start – Wide Open School – https://wideopenschool.org/
● Learn at Home with National Geographic – https://www.nationalgeographic.org/education/classroomresources/learn-at-home/
● NY Times Learning Network at Home – https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/learning/students-canrespond-to-daily-writing-prompts-inspired-by-the-new-york-times-at-home-for-free.html
● PBS Learning Media – Learn at Home – https://www.nationalgeographic.org/education/classroomresources/
● Color.n Colorado – For Families – https://www.colorincolorado.org/families
● Color.n Colorado – Making the Connection: Communicating with ELLs and Their Families During School Closures – https://www.colorincolorado.org/article/coronavirus-ells-families
● Color.n Colorado -Reading Tip Sheets for Parents https://www.colorincolorado.org/reading-tip-sheetsparents
● Talking Points – https://talkingpts.org/here-for-you/
● CommonLit – https://www.commonlit.org/en
● Scholastic Learn at Home – https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html
● Time for Kids – https://www.timeforkids.com/
Science/ Environmental Health
● Children’s Environmental Health – Parent and Educator Toolkit – https://cehn.org/cehmovement/parent-educator-toolkit/#K_4
● Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants – http://www.exploringbytheseat.com/
○ Live Stream on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/Exploringbytheseatofyourpants/live
● Mystery Science Home Learning Resources – https://mysteryscience.com/school-closure-planning
● NASA at Home – https://www.nasa.gov/specials/nasaathome/index.html
● National Geographic Explorer Classroom – https://www.nationalgeographic.org/education/studentexperiences/explorer-classroom/
○ Explorer Classroom YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwDYgc65Zhn4Jn7ls69Pqo1YleErp34Ft
Spark101: Videos and lessons that are co-developed by educators and employers, offering support in authentic STEM problem-solving. Other subject areas included: https://www.spark101.org/
HyperDocs: A transformative, interactive Google Doc alternative to the worksheet method of delivering instruction: https://hyperdocs.co/
Desmos: This is a web-based platform developed by some of the high-flyers in the math community. It does a lot to make math visual and is highly engaging: https://teacher.desmos.com
@collabgenius on Twitter is dedicated to making remote teaching easier for beginners – see their basic tips for getting started
In the Albuquerque viewing area, KNME is broadcasting lessons in partnership with Albuquerque Public Schools: https://www.newmexicopbs.org/what-we-do/education/aps-athome/
Setting up a Google Classroom, 5 Quick Tips by John Sowash: https://youtu.be/JbsZdzKIAWo
Turning a pdf into an editable document by Amy Almada: https://youtu.be/sd_QN3Jcnao